As Miss Shirley’s 10th Anniversary Year comes to a close, we reflect on all of the rewarding experiences we have had in the past year, including our 10 Months of #ShirleysGiving Charitable Campaign!
Beginning in May 2015, Miss Shirley’s set out to show our appreciation to the community that has supported us for the last decade, by giving to one local charitable organization each month, for 10 months!
Check out all of the wonderful organizations we were able to support during our “10 Months of Shirley’s Giving” below:
- Miss Shirley’s kicked off the charitable campaign by strengthening our commitment to our local neighborhoods. We sponsored 22 Road Signs in Roland Park, Inner Harbor & Annapolis to help keep our community roads clean! AdoptAHighway.net
- We supported Teach for America in their mission to eliminate educational inequality and ensure that all children are offered a proper education! Miss Shirley’s sponsored the organization’s “First Taste of Baltimore,” by donating food for the 350+ attendees of the event, which welcomes new teachers to Baltimore. Baltimore.TeachForAmerica.org
- During the summer, Miss Shirley’s Cafe sponsored an additional 9 Highway Signs through Adopt-A-Highway, ensuring that our roadways remain litter-free 365 days per year. AdoptAHighway.com
- Miss Shirley’s team supported the National MS Society’s Maryland Chapter by appearing on WJZ’s Manic Monday in August, to help promote their upcoming “Women on the Move” Event! The annual event took place at the American Visionary Art Museum, where Miss Shirley’s Corporate Executive Chef Brigitte Bledsoe & Executive Chef Zuri Coles served special Mini Crab Cake Martinis with Old Bay Mashed Potatoes to attendees. NationalMSSociety.org/Chapters/MDM
- In September, Miss Shirley’s Cafe sponsored and participated in the local FARE Walk for Food Allergy for the 4th year in a row! Our team donated and handed out Bottled Water & Allergy Door Hangers, and walkers had the chance to spin our Prize Wheel to win fun Shirley’s Swag. Miss Shirley’s raised a total of $9,659 towards Food Allergy Research & Education! FoodAllergyWalk.org/Baltimore2016
- In the Fall, Miss Shirley’s became a corporate member of The Maryland Zoo in Baltimore and adopted 10 African Penguins. The Adopt an Animal program aids the zoo in providing the best habitat and health care possible for the animals. Miss Shirley’s also had the opportunity to name a newly born penguin “Eddie,” after our founder, who was a longtime fan, supporter, caterer and board member of the Zoo for many years. MarylandZoo.org
- In the spirit of giving, our team members helped serve Thanksgiving dinner to the children & families of Saint Vincent’s Villa, an organization that provides therapeutic services for children suffering emotional and behavioral challenges. Miss Shirley’s also donated Lego sets to St. Vincent’s to use as holiday gifts and rewards for the children! CatholicCharities-MD.org/St-Vincents-Villa
- For the Holidays, Miss Shirley’s sponsored, designed and purchased a 7.5’ 10 Year Anniversary Orange Tree, which was displayed at the Festival of Trees! All funds from this annual family event benefit the Kennedy Krieger Institute, which aims to improve the lives of children & individuals with disorders of the brain, spinal chord, and musculoskeletal system. We were ecstatic that our tree won the 3rd place Corporate Branding Award, during the event! KennedyKrieger.org
- Miss Shirley’s started off the New Year by financially sponsoring the Miriam Lodge Weekend Backpacks of Food given to homeless children who attend 3 Baltimore City schools. We were also happy to donate sealable gallon bags and snack size packs of Pop Chips, Goldfish Crackers & Dole Fruit Cups, to be included in the packs. GoFundMe.com/ungpjs
- We ended our 10 Months of #ShirleysGiving campaign by joining the One Love Movement! Miss Shirley’s was happy to host a “Pancakes for Parents” breakfast and educational workshop for area parents, educators and community leaders! Attendees were able to enjoy a complimentary breakfast and view One Love’s “Escalation,” a powerful and emotionally engaging 38-minute film, being used to educate students about the warning signs of relationship violence. JoinOneLove.org
Although our anniversary year has come to an end, we are not done #ShirleysGiving! Miss Shirley’s Cafe is happy to be able to give to over 150 local charities, schools and community organizations each year through the donation of silent auction items and event sponsorships. Stay up-to-date on our recent and upcoming events by checking out the “In The Community” section of our monthly newsletter!